Magazines.com, Inc.

Wednesday, August 8, 2018

AYDAF: Hard Work Pays Off

It's that time again.  Time for another installment of Advice You Didn't Ask For!

Today's topic:  Hard work pays off.


Ah, the sweet memories of my childhood.  The time when my parents, grandparents, teachers, and any authoritative adult in my life gave that wonderful piece of advice.  I remember being praised for my good grades, my dedication to school, and getting a job at the young age of 14.  I remember those adults telling me that as long as I kept working hard, I would soon see the benefits of that hard work.  In my mind, that meant if I worked really hard, I'd make bukus of money.  

Now, here I sit, 36 years old.  I have a Master's Degree, a Bachelor's Degree, and an Associate's Degree.  I am a few days from starting my 7th year as a teacher.  My yearly salary, after all the take outs, sits right above the federal poverty line.  The amount I owe in student loans from getting all of those fancy degrees was the equivalent of TWO YEARS of my salary BEFORE take-outs.  Even with my husband's pay, we often find ourselves juggling bills, cutting out extras, and sticking to a pretty strict budget to get by.  

So, where all of those adults wrong about hard work paying off?

Yes and no.  Depending on how you take that common piece of advice.

As an educator, it's literally my job to tell my students how important their education is.  As a parent, I have given my own children that piece of advice since the first time they questioned anything they were doing at school, or in life in general, that they struggled with.  I explain to my students and my children that in order to get anywhere in life, they need a good education, and they need to work hard.  Even though there are lots of children out there that won't ever have to worry about money, many more children won't have that luxury and have to work hard for everything they get.

I've worked hard my entire life.  I've done all of those things that I was advised to do.  I went to college, even though I was raising three children.  I pursued my dream career.  I spent many a sleepless night huddled over text books and my computer to write papers and complete assignments.  I continued to hold down a job while going to school.  I worked HARD.  So, did it pay off?

The first milestone


When I was 19 and a single mother to two very small children, I had no choice but to utilize public assistance.  I had food stamps, my kids had state insurance, and I had day care assistance vouchers.  My job paid the rent and the bills.  Even with all the assistance, I lived paycheck to paycheck.  After a couple of years of living that way, I decided to start working a little harder to find a job that would help ease some of my burdens.  I ended up landing a pretty decent job working for an extremely large retailer at their corporate headquarters.  

I went from a job that made $7.50 an hour to a job that paid almost $12 an hour.  That was pretty good money, back then.  I will never forget the feeling I had when I got that first letter telling me that my income no longer qualified for food stamps.  I wasn't worried that I was now going to have to buy my own food.  Making another $5 an hour made a HUGE difference, and I took that as proof that my hard work truly had paid off.  I was able to feed my children without the use of public assistance.

The college plunge


After a couple of years of working in retail, I was inspired to pursue a college education.  I'd wanted to be a teacher since I was 5, so I decided it was time to make that dream come true.  For four years I took full-time college courses, worked part-time, and raised my kids.  I lacked sleep, money, and patience, but what an amazing feeling when I walked across that stage to receive my Bachelor's degree.  A year later, I was hired as a 4th grade teacher in the school where I now currently teach.  I worked my butt off, and had finally made a 20+ year dream come true. 

The great chase


If you've read the Prologue section of the blog, you'll know that Casey and I met in high school, lost touch, and reconnected 14 years later.  From the minute I saw Casey again, I just KNEW I still loved him.  Actually, I never stopped loving him, the emotions just all flooded to the surface when he was standing in front of me.  What I haven't disclosed, however, is that it wasn't a "love at first sight, got back together" reunion.  Casey and I weren't even on speaking terms at our first meeting, due to drama with his then girlfriend.  I was simply taking our daughter to meet Casey for the first time.

That first meeting, however, put into motion a very long, grueling, emotional chase to rekindle our love.  We both ended our current relationships, and Casey moved to Arkansas.  He didn't move to be with me, he moved to get away from a nasty living situation and to start over.  I ended my relationship because I knew I had feelings for Casey, and it just wasn't fair to be with someone when I didn't love them.  

For the following three months, I went through an emotional roller-coaster.  Casey told me CONSTANTLY, he didn't want a relationship, but I knew that we were supposed to be together.  I knew fate had brought us back together for a reason, and so the hard work began.

I worked my butt off, and eventually managed to convince Casey into giving us a chance. He was so worried that his past would interfere with our future, and he was right, but we just worked through it.  We've had our downs, we've had our struggles, but we've worked hard, and now we are very happily married,  He is my best friend, and I just couldn't imagine my life without him.  My hard work definitely paid off.

It's not just about money


So, I've worked very hard throughout my adult life, and I'm not rich.  I'm not swimming in monetary compensation from all the hard work.  What I am swimming in, however, are the other blessings that have come with my hard work.  I raised three amazing children, I put myself through college, I got my dream job, and I am married to my soulmate.  None of those things were easy.  I worked long and hard to get the things I'm most truly thankful for.  

Sometimes, we have to remember that money isn't always the reward for hard work.  In fact, money shouldn't be the only reason to work hard.  Work hard to follow your dreams, work hard to get something you want, and work hard to rise above difficulties.  When you do those things, you will be very happy with the reward.  

Hard work DOES pay off.  

That's your advice you didn't ask for.  You're welcome!


'Til Next Time!

31 comments:

  1. I think hard work is imperative to being successful. I think a bigger question is what does successful mean to you? Is it being rich? Is it being comfortable? Is it being in a position of power? Is it working for yourself. No matter what your goal is, hard work is necessary to get there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely!! I often explain this to my students. "Paying off" doesn't always mean making money, in fact, it's often not the pay off. There are so many levels of success, and personal views of success. T

      Delete
  2. I love this post. Hardwork really does pay off, I'm glad that you are so happy with all your accomplishments and hope that you keep reaching and achieving your goals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I have always tried to set myself goals, no matter how old I get. There's always something that can be improved or achieved. My blogging is my next goal. :)

      Delete
  3. I agree hard work pays off, just not always in the way that you think it will. Money isn't everything, and it's important to remember that there is more than one measure of success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely!! There are several ways to measure success. I think the ultimate goal should be happiness. If you work hard, and the outcome makes you happy, you succeeded and the hard work paid off.

      Delete
  4. I so agree that it is not always about the money. A teacher is a very rewarding job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, it certainly is. What better pay off than helping children succeed?

      Delete
  5. I think hard work does pay off, but it is all in how you look at it. You have to work towards something you love, something important. It isn't all about the money, it is about being happy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agreed!! Happiness should always be the end goal. Why work hard to do something you don't like doing? Money shouldn't be a motivator, happiness should be.

      Delete
  6. I agree, hard work does pay off. I do think teachers should be paid SO much more than they do for all they do. It's why I always give my children's teachers gifts and I always ask if they need anything.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hard work definitely pays off - in the end, it boils down to fulfillment and what gives you peace in your heart. You are such a good example to your kids - they are blessed to have you as their mom and teacher! So happy for you that your perseverance helped your love to come together - wishing you guys the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! My hard work has definitely paid off, and I hope that it continues.

      Delete
  8. Wow, what a sincere and heartfelt post. You have been through alot and you have accomplished so much! It's good to be grateful for what we have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I am very grateful for all the blessings I have in my life, and it makes it even nicer to know that I worked hard for all of those blessings.

      Delete
  9. Wow! What a story. You are very blessed and I am blessed by reading about who you are. Thank you for sharing your life with the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This is exactly why I write. I want people to enjoy what I write, and feel some connection. It's a blessing to have readers like you. :)

      Delete
  10. I love this post, sometimes I myself have the same struggles, no matter how much I work, it is still not enough. But you are right, it is not just about the money, there are more blessing in our life that we should be grateful of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can definitely be frustrating to work very hard, yet still struggle financially. Looking at the other benefits have definitely helped. Although, that's why I decided to try my hand (again) at being a blogger. May not make a whole lot, but I LOVE to write, so why not try?

      Delete
  11. Wow, this is such a beautiful post to read and I think your hard work pays off. It is not about money but it's all about happiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I am very happy, and that's a better pay off than money, any day.

      Delete
  12. Love your post! Hard work always pays off!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am a strong believer that if you don't do anything, you don't get anything. So yes indeed, hard work pays off and it always very satisfying!

    ReplyDelete
  14. As a retired physician who went to medical school twice -- Conventional Western and then Traditional Oriental -- I know a thing or two or three about the value of hard work and deferred gratification.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You can never sit down and wait for a miracle, always do your best and focus on things that inspire and you love to do.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are blessed with the key to happiness, that is sincerity. Since you are true you have the true worth of life. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I always google what success is and what contributes to it. And i think when hard work pays off is another contribution to my list of what contributes to success

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is amazing. You're so brave. I feel like everyone should look back on these milestones in their lives, big or small, and find appreciation in them!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Its really inspiring! I believe that, hard work is the key to success. You're so brave.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I agree when you work really hard you get to reap great benefits from your efforts. This can be in the form of appreciation, recognition, awards, money, position, title, promotion etc. It does pay in the end to work hard.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers... please leave a comment with your thoughts and opinions.