Magazines.com, Inc.

Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Managing After a Miscarriage


Now that I've shared a little about me, I want to open up a little more.  A little deeper.  Share about something I faced this summer that came completely unexpected, something I didn't understand, and something I can now talk about.  This summer, I had a miscarriage.

I was about 5 weeks along when I found out I was pregnant.  It was quite a shock, especially being that it was only a few days after our oldest daughter graduated from high school.  We were starting over.  We were going to have a little one, again, and we were very excited.  We were so excited, we immediately began telling everyone and anyone.  Big mistake, in hindsight.  There's a reason why they tell you to wait 12 weeks before telling anyone.  I learned that the hard way.

For 2 weeks, everything was great.  Or so I thought.  Then, it was time for the doctor's appointments and ultrasounds.  We were so excited for the first ultrasound, but instead of seeing my baby's heartbeat on the monitor, we saw an empty, black sac, and started hearing words coming from my doctor's mouth.  

Blighted Ovum:  When a fertilized egg attaches to the uterine wall, but the embryo doesn't develop.

I had never heard of it in my life.  Didn't know it existed.  Couldn't even comprehend that it was happening to me, being that I'd had 3 successful pregnancies, and I come from a very fertile family.  Blighted ovum was my final diagnosis, and it took 2 horribly painstaking weeks of tests and ultrasounds to make the diagnosis, and for a D&C to be scheduled.  I should have been about 8 weeks along, and instead I was going to have a surgery to have my "products of conception" removed from me.  

It's very hard to put into words the emotions that surround a miscarriage.  It's a loss.  You need to grieve, rest, and try to make sense of a medical malfunction that happened inside your body.  You have to accept that people are going to offer their condolences, they are going to look at you with that look of pity in their eyes, and they are going to walk on eggshells around you, because they're not sure how you're handling it.  

I'm one of those people that put on the "brave face".  I smiled, I thanked everyone for their thoughts and prayers, and I told everyone that I'd be OK.  

What really happened, though, was a change inside of me.  Something I didn't really expect.  Something good actually came from this horrible tragedy.  I fell in love with my husband even more (if that's possible), and it connected our bond even stronger than I ever thought possible.  For the first time in our marriage, I needed my husband more than ever, and he was there.  There in a way I could never imagine.  There with his words, his actions, his support, and his encouragement.  

Walls were broken down in me that I never thought ANYONE would break.  That "I've got this", "I can handle anything, and get over it", mentality.  I have always been strong.  I've always been able to handle any and all obstacles that came my way.  I've always been the support that he needed, and the stress that I carried on my shoulders was never too much to carry.  Until the moment I heard that I wasn't going to have the baby I had already fallen in love with, the baby I had already started making a blanket for, the baby I had already envisioned in my mind.  

I tried with all of my might to put on that persona.  Then, I would find myself crying for no reason.  I would just break into tears at the drop of a hat.  I would convince myself it was just my messed up hormones, completely normal, and something that wouldn't last long.  

My husband knew it was just that.  A persona.  A fake image I was trying to carry, trying to pretend wasn't effecting me, and he jumped into action.

For the next few weeks, up until this moment, Casey has been my rock.  I've been able to open up to him, and he has listened.  He has taken care of me more than anyone has ever taken care of me.  I've never really been taken care of, before.  Not like that.  He held me when I needed to be held, he spoke to me with such love and understanding, and I am certain I wouldn't have made it through this without him.

What I have learned from all of this is that a miscarriage is NOT something someone can go through alone.  It doesn't matter how strong you are, how many trials and tribulations you've been through, nothing prepares you for the loss of a child.  And that's exactly what a miscarriage is, regardless if there's a baby there or not.  You feel like you have lost a child, and it takes a lot out of you emotionally, physically, and mentally.  

Casey and I are trying again.  We want to hold our rainbow baby in our arms, and thank God for the blessing of being parents again.  This loss has renewed our love, brought us closer together, and shown me that there isn't a stronger person in a marriage.  There have been many times he's needed me, and this was the time I really needed him.  He was there.  

I pushed aside the fact that he had to deal with this loss, also.  I had to understand that he also felt pain, felt loss, and regardless, he did everything in his power to ensure that I felt comforted, loved, and supported.  

It has been 4 weeks since my surgery.  I don't think the emotional change will ever go away.  I don't think I'll ever be "over" the miscarriage.  I can look towards the future and have hope that we will have our baby.  What I can take from all of this is that I know without a shadow of a doubt that there isn't another man on this planet that I could love, or would love me, than Casey.  He is my rock, my other half, my complete partner.  

I can't be me without him.  

Our angel baby, despite not getting the chance at life, has given us life.  Our angel baby was sent to show Casey and I how much we truly love each other, to bring us together even more, and to open us up in a raw and powerful way.  I truly believe our angel was sent to open all of this up for us, so that if we are blessed with a rainbow baby, he or she will feel that love that has come from this unexpected tragedy.  
'Til Next Time!

30 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your story and opening up about this trying time in your life. It is the courage shown by people like you that makes it easier for others to deal with their own pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. This means a lot to me. I appreciate your support. :)

      Delete
  2. I am sure this was a hard for you to share. I cannot even begin to imagine the feelings you go through. Just thinking about it is making me emotional as a father to 3 children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It was. The main goal is to show the importance of support during such a trying time. My husband was my rock and savior, and it makes sharing my story a whole lot easier. :)

      Delete
  3. I too had three live births before my miscarriage. The pain of losing a baby still hurts when I think about the child I never met.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's still very fresh, for me, but I'm sure I will always feel the same. Thank you for sharing.

      Delete
  4. I'm so sorry. I had a blighted ovum too. I had no clue what it even was until it happened to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It appears many people haven't heard of it.

      Delete
  5. This was such a beautiful post and show of the good that can come from the heart breaking situations. Im so encouraged by this💖 Thank you for sharing your testimony!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I try and find the positive in all situations, regardless of how heartbreaking. It makes me so happy to hear that people can be encouraged by sharing my story. That means a lot to me.

      Delete
  6. Moving on after miscarriage is not an easy process! I'm not mother yet but I know how hard it is. I really love your thoughts! stay strong :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's not an easy process. While I won't ever "get over it", I can look at the blessings that came from it.

      Delete
  7. awww, I'm so sorry for your loss. I know what it's like to lose a child and the loss at any stage is devastating. I promise it gets easier. The pain never goes away but it does get manageable! Much love to you and Casey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! We very much appreciate your thoughts.

      Delete
  8. This is really an amazing post and I cannot imagine what you have gone through. But losing a live is much much worse especially who haven't even started to seen the world.So Thank You for sharing the story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your write-up is touching and inspiring. I'm glad that something good came out of your diffdiffi experience:growing bonds of Love between you and your husband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's amazing how hard times can bring a couple closer. I think it truly testifies our love. So often, couples split when times get tough. It's so nice to know that we bond stronger. Good can definitely come from bad.

      Delete
  10. I am very sorry to hear about your miscarriage, it must have been so awful. Your husband was definitely a hero, being there for you and helping you along the way of this hard journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! He is definitely my hero. He really doesn't even understand how much he did for me. In his words, "I did what any husband would do when they're wife goes through that". Unfortunately, that's not always the case, but I'm so glad that's how he looks at it.

      Delete
  11. This is definitely a good and inspiring post to read. I know a lot of people can relate. It is uplifting and joyful to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It makes my heart very happy to hear, and that's what I hope for in my blog.

      Delete
  12. This post makes me sad and cry but I know this article will inspires many women who also experiencing or experienced this matter.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a terrible thing to happen but it does help to talk about it or write about it. Sharing can be very therapeutic, it looks like your on the right road to recovery so thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i can feel the pain and I am sorry for your loss. But hang in there, God has a better plan for you. Thank your for being brave and inspiring other moms.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry to hear your lost. be brave and positive, i'm sure God will help you. Feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Am sorry to hear your lost. You will be fine soon, your family is always there to support and give smile.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So Sorry to heard that. I can't imagine what would I do if that happens to me. You are such a strong woman and a great mom. I know you'll get through all of this. Sending love and pray...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sorry to hear on your miscarriage.. But be strong... Your family and friends always around to support

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for opening up to all of us about such a private experience. I'm so sorry for your loss and hope you will one day find peace.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers... please leave a comment with your thoughts and opinions.