Magazines.com, Inc.

Thursday, August 2, 2018

Back to School Shopping, A Teacher's Plea


It's that time of year, again.  The summer is dwindling down, and you're reminded in every store that your child's supply list is waiting.  For some parents, walking into any store towards the end of July is that sweet reminder that summer isn't going to last forever, and your little angels will soon be returning back to school.  For other parents, they walk into the same store and think, "ugh, I'm gonna have to buy all this crap soon".  For teachers?  They just avoid any store for the entire month of July.  It's just too much to accept that they have to go back to work in just a couple of weeks.

Unfortunately for me, I had to make a trek to Wal-Mart last week.  I had no choice but to walk by the aisles filled with parents loading up their carts with their kids' school supplies.  It didn't take 5 seconds for me to hear those words that I hear every year.  The words that make my skin crawl, my defense mode to kick into action, and the swift reminder as to why I avoid these aisles when they're bustling with parents:
"This supply list is RIDICULOUS!! I'm not buying supplies for the teachers and all the other kids who won't buy their own supplies.  No child needs THREE BOXES of pencils!  Teachers can buy their own freaking supplies!"
I get it, parents.  I do.  I was a parent of school aged children for six years before I became a teacher.  I'd look at the supply lists each year and wonder why on earth kids needed so much to go to school.  BUT, it wasn't until I actually became a teacher until I realized WHY I bought those supplies for my kids each year.

I want to take a few minutes to dispel some of those nasty misconceptions that parents often have about their child's supply list:

You're buying supplies for teachers


First and foremost, you're not buying supplies for teachers.  Yes, I know you've seen dry erase markers, pens, Post-Its, and maybe even white-out and staples on the school supply list.  You're first reaction is to think that these supplies are for teachers.  That's not always the case.  Many teachers (myself included) have the students use dry erase markers for assignments.  Kids can use dry erase markers on their desks and personal dry erase boards without making any mess.  Most teachers now have SmartBoards, so they don't use dry erase markers very often.  I also have my kids use pens to write and edit their own papers.  Post-Its are used quite often to take notes while reading.  My students also use White-Out and the stapler.  Whatever is on that list is for the students to use. 

There's no way your kids use that many supplies 


I know it's hard for parents to fathom that their little darlings go through three package of pencils, three packages of paper, and three boxes of Kleenex in a school year.  It's not uncommon for parents to use their own judgement, and buy 1 of everything, even though the supply lists ask for 3 of everything.  However, this past school year was the first in SIX YEARS that I didn't run out of pencils and paper before Christmas.  The only reason for that?  We finally got Chromebooks for the kids to use, so we don't do as much pencil/paper work as we previously did.

Years prior, most of my students had the required supplies, and I STILL ran out of pencils, paper, and Kleenex before the end of the school year.  I'm convinced that kids must eat pencils, because I would go through a box of pencils every couple of days.  They would just vanish.  Kids also use a lot of paper, and Kleenex.  Kids like to blow their nose, a lot. I tried all kinds of tactics to help conserve supplies, but nothing worked. Your kids are in school about 170 days, and when they need a new pencil every couple of days, about 3-5 sheets of paper a day (at least), and around 2-4 Kleenexes a day, one package of each just doesn't cut it. When teachers ask for multiples of something, it's because they know that's AT LEAST how much your child will use throughout the year - although it can often be double that.

You're buying supplies for other children who don't buy their own


As sad as it is, it's very true that many kids will return to school without supplies.  It's often because the family can't afford the supplies.  Sometimes, it's because parents actually refuse to provide supplies because it's "the school's job" to provide the necessary supplies.  Even though many schools do fundraisers to help purchase supplies, and many companies donate supplies, do you know who has to pick up the slack when students don't have their supplies?  The teachers.  That's right.  It's very common for teachers to use THEIR OWN MONEY to purchase supplies for children who don't have them, or whenever the supplies run out.  In my six years of teaching, not a year has gone by that I haven't gone school supply shopping a week after school starts to buy supplies based on how many children didn't get their supplies.  I also make several purchases throughout the school year, when the supplies are dwindling down.  My own money, that I should be using to support my own family, goes to helping kids in my classroom have the supplies they need.

I know that people often believe that schools give teachers money to buy supplies.  Each year, we do get a small stipend to spend on supplies that WE need.  I usually get staples, Post-Its, a package of dry erase markers, and some other odds and ends.  While these supplies help me out, I still end up buying quite a few supplies (out of my own pocket) because they are specially needed for some kind of project or something I'm doing in my classroom.  It's not the school's fault.  They have a limited budget and they have to use the budget to make sure that other needs are met. 

Even though I complained about having to buy so many supplies for my 3 children before I began to teach, that was NOTHING compared to how much money I now spend on school supplies each year.  Now that I'm a teacher, I completely understand why parents are asked to provide supplies for their children.  If the parents don't supply them, the school doesn't magically step in.  No, unfortunately, it's very often the teachers that have to spend their own money to make sure they have the supplies they need. 

Don't know if you are aware of how much teachers make, but my bring home pay equates to about $600 a week.  That's about $15 an hour, if I work a 40 hour work week.  Not exactly racking in the big bucks.  Let's not start on the whole, "teachers only work half a year", and all that jazz.  That's for another blog post.  What I'm trying to say here is when you look at the supply list, realize that your child really does need all that "stuff".  You're not buying the supplies for teachers or kids who don't buy supplies.  You're helping teachers who will end up having to buy supplies, themselves, if you don't get them.  Teachers who have their own kids to buy for, their own families to support, and are pretty much the only professional that has to take a nice chunk of their own money to buy supplies they need to do their job:  Teach YOUR children.  I'm pretty sure doctors aren't buying their own supplies to medically treat you, are often making 3 times as much as teachers, and are still charging HUNDREDS of dollars for 15 minutes of their time.  Think about that, for a second. 

If you think school supplies are expensive now, just wait until you get that first college bill.  Now, THAT'S something to complain about.  HA!!!
 
'Til Next Time!!


38 comments:

  1. Well written ! I always buy extras and send randomly throughout the year because these supplies don’t last all year and unfortunately there are some families that can’t afford to complete the list. Some are for the teachers that are teaching your children. Why not make sure they have the necessities for a successful year. Happy new school year !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, and thank you for helping out throughout the school year. A little help definitely goes a long way. :)

      Delete
  2. When I was a child there were no supply lists for school. The parents would just buy what they thought it was necessary and then see what was missing at the beginning of the year, once the schedule was published.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things are a little different in the UK. I was born there and went to school there until I was 12. In the US, students are given a supply list each year to buy the needed supplies. It's tough, but it sure does save teachers a fortune when parents buy them.

      Delete
  3. Now that my husband is earning more money, I can buy extras for the teachers. I remember many years ago when my husband was making 15 an hour and we had 5 kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's tough. That's how much I make now, supporting 3 children AND buying supplies for my classroom. Even with my husband's income, it costs us a lot to keep my classroom stocked of everything I need.

      Delete
  4. I love this! I never complain about school supply lists. I buy extra for the teacher as well because I hate that they are spending their tiny paycheck on stuff that the government should supply.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is interesting, I've never thought about it in this perspective before! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never thought some teacher would have to do that. That's quite tough but I'm glad they have you as a teacher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, it's very common that teachers spend their own money for supplies in the classroom.

      Delete
  7. Well written, I never thought it this way. School supplies are just... U know when I was a kid we didn't have enough supplies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can totally understand. I have many students who need some help when it comes to supplies. I have no problem helping when I can, it can just be tough at times.

      Delete
  8. Here in India its parents headache to provide necessarily supplies to kids for class as per teacher list in most of the classes. And if teacher is providing that to kids from their side then they charge hefty amount for those things. I think it should be understanding between parents and teachers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fascinating how different it is in other countries. Teachers, here, have to use their own money if they don't have supplies. I know that other countries have schools that supply all supplies. Thank you for sharing!

      Delete
  9. Buying supplies for the teacher? What the heck! Unless I'm planning on gifting the teacher, I don't think I'd actually reach that point when it's almost back to school time. But again, my mom would do so!Ooops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. No... my point was that sometimes parents think they are buying supplies for the teacher, but they're not. Lol

      Delete
  10. I hear similar complaints in Canada too about buying school supplies. We now have the option to purchase our school supplies online and they are shipped to the school, depending if the school supports the program.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a neat idea. I wish we had an option to do something like that. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  11. Thank you for sharing your thoughts about this issue! We have this issue in our country too. When I was still in school and I am big enough to buy my own supplies I could hear lots of parents complaining. I just wish they could take the time to understand the reason why they buy those supplies. When I was a kid I am a witness on how we used up our supplies even before the year ends. Hell, I did even hear a father (I think) telling his small child "Don't believe everything your teacher say!" just because the child was explaining she has to get this school item.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another famous line I hear quite too often. Telling kids not to believe what their teachers say really makes life harder for us. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  12. Time to buy school supplies. This is really exciting! I miss my school days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. I was one of those kids who couldn't wait for school supply shopping. My mom? Not so much. But, she always made sure my siblings and I had everything on the supply list.

      Delete
  13. I don't have kids nor am I going back to school but I remember what a nightmare it was to grocery shopping for back to school! the list was endless and each teacher and a different one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, some schools do have different lists for each teacher. In our district, they make one list for all the classes. That's often why kids need 3 or 4 notebooks or folders, because they have 3 or 4 different classes to use them for.

      Delete
  14. Interesting read as over here in where I stay, teachers dont buy for students. The students buy their own or if not, school provide. Certainly not taken from teacher's pocket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The school does what it can, but they have such a small budget it's hard for them to buy everything. I'm hoping that school supply lists will get smaller for some. Especially the schools that now use computers for each of their students.

      Delete
  15. OMG yes ! My girl is still a baby but when it will be time for school , omg.
    Here in France the list is also super long !! Buy this, not this one.. You can't even choose sometimes !! Argh !

    Thanks for sharing !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kids attended a school when they were younger that required certain brands of crayons, markers, glue, etc. I am so glad my school district with any brand we can get!!

      Delete
  16. Teachers get a bad deal. It is sad that some kids can't afford school supplies and that teacher have to stand in to get them. The government should supply public schools with supplies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so true. It's so sad our government will pay for inmates to eat, learn, etc, but won't provide the basic needs for our students!! Don't even get me started on the prices for school meals!! Lol

      Delete
  17. Wow summer vacation for kids really seem to fly by. A lot of student don't have their supplies and many teachers dig into their pockets to supply their students without.There are so many teachers that complain about this but the supplies are needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teachers complain? Yes, we might complain I guess, but it's only because we are having to buy supplies to do our job. Not many companies require you to buy supplies for their own clients.. same situation, here, if you think about it.

      Delete
  18. I think it's terrible that some would think so badly about buying school supplies for students. I have friends who are teachers and any help is so appreciated for the wellfare and education of the students. Wish more people would chip in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When parents complain, they are telling their children that their education isn't worth the $20 that's being spent on supplies. That's the sad part parents often don't realize.

      Delete
  19. When I was in school I used to love going with my mom to buy the Various school supplies and then we used to sit together and wrap the new books in Brown paper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to love supply shopping, too!!! Writing in our new notebooks on the first day of school was very exciting for me!!

      Delete
  20. Back to school shopping could be hectic sometimes... so much in the list to follow.. hehehehe~

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers... please leave a comment with your thoughts and opinions.